Dal Makhni is a staple dish you can find in any North Indian restaurant Menu. This is a rich dal containing butter and cream so best served for those small/big dinner parties or any get together.
Dal makhni is also called “Maa ki Dal” or “Maah ki Dal”..Actually it doesn’t mean mothers dal. In Punjab we actually refer the sabut urad dal (whole unskinned black gram lentil) as ” Maah ” so called Maa ki dal..:)
Serves 3-4 (inspired from this recipe)
Urad Dal( Black gram lentils):-1/2 cup
Rajma(red kidney beans):- 1/8 cup
Channa dal:- 1/8 cup
Ginger:- 1 tsp
Garlic:-2 cloves (minced)
Green Chillies:- 2-3 ( or as per taste)
Salt as per taste
Turmeric powder:- 1/2 tsp
Ghee:- 4 tbsp
Garlic:- 2 cloves (minced)
Cumin seeds:- 1 tsp
Fenugreek/Methi Seeds:- 1/8 tsp
Asafoetida:- A pinch
Onion:- 1/2 (Finely chopped)
Tomato:- 1 ( Pureed)
Chilli Powder:- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder:- 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala:- 1 tsp
1) Soak Urad dal, rajma & channa dal in water overnight.
2) Boil/Pressure Cook all the soaked lentils together alongwith ginger, garlic. green chillies, salt and turmeric until soft ( it takes about 15 minutes.)
3) To prepare tadka:-
Heat the ghee in a pan and add cumin and methi seeds, when they start to crackle add garlic and fry until light brown ( do not burn the garlic)
4) Add onion and asafoetida and saute until onions become golden brown in color
5) Add tomato puree, chlli powder, turmeric, and garam masala powder and mix everything well
6) Cook for another 3-4 minutes , add little water if needed.
7) Add the cooked dal in the tadka along with cream and butter, mix and let it come to boil , then turn off the gas.