Ludhiana city’s historic and popular tourist spot and now a police academy, the Phillaur fort which is 14 kms from the city of Ludhiana and on Sutlej River banks, is situated in the city’s town named Phillaur. This town was originally called as Phulnagar. The town was named after Sanghera Jatt Phul which was a critical outskirts site that charged the most continuous Sutlej Ferry. Under the order of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, a force was appointed which was very strong; it was headed by Governor Mokham Chand, the general of the Maharaja. They were stationed here between the years 1808 – 1812. Dewan Mokham Chand along with an Italian Architect designed the fort. Currently, there is a police training center which is operating in the fort itself. The Finger Print Bureau is also stationed here.
About the Fort
The Phillaur Fort is also known as the Maharaja Ranjit Singh fort who ruled between the years 1799 – 1839. The Maharaja had marked a settlement with the British in 1809 consistent with which the waterway Sutlej was concurred upon to be the limit between the domains of the two. Ludhiana being the last British post to the south of the Sutlej, it was common for Ranjit Singh to erect a number fortification at Phillaur, on the inverse bank of the stream.
About the Gateways
Each gateway of the fort is named after two Mughal cities, they are Delhi and Lahori gates. They are equally deep and measures 13.35m in breadth. There is an enclosing wall that surrounds it which is 4.7m beyond the wall. The entrance is a high and broad archway measuring 3.7m. The front parapet has a baradari like domed shaped structure at the front. The gateways are currently painted in white and red.